1. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello, Burt Bacharach and John Barry are the 5 primary pop music influences.They have a new disc out titled Esque, that I just received and from preliminary listening, will be a top 10 contender (full review to come soon). Between the philosophy behind the manifesto, the band name, and the album title, you know where they're coming from, and that's just alright with me.
2. Lyrics are 50% of a pop song; they should either make a philosophical point or tell a story.
3. Tambourines and shakers must be used.
4. The following words will never be used in a rhyme scheme: heart and apart; young and fun; dead and bed.
5. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, chorus.
6. In music videos, no one will be seen playing a musical instrument.
7. No good pop song can come from jamming.
8. Illegal downloading of music is OK; failure to buy the music you love is a crime.
Monday, June 2, 2008
A manifesto I can get behind.
From the official site of The Rip Off Artists, a new band formed by Nick Pipitone and Peter Bachelder: